Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fireworks



 New Years was the most wonderful day of my life. The events that unfolded have made me the happiest person on the earth. But before I get ahead of myself, I’ll rewind to Friday, December 30th. After a morning shopping trip to the mall, the Chumley girls decided on the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. While waiting for our table I saw my brother and brother-in-law walk in. I was a little confused because they were supposed to be back in Sequim two hours away.
And then I saw him, the man I absolutely adore.
Christopher Ivie walked in the doors and my jaw fell through the floor. I immediately ran and gave him a huge hug. I kept asking,
 “Why are you here? Did you fly here? What’s going on? I can’t believe you’re here!” 
I was in shock. I was so excited to see him that I was literally shaking. Chris flew up to Washington to surprise me while I was thinking I wasn’t going to see him until April. Thank goodness April came early. Nothing could have removed the giant smile from my face. I was so happy…SO happy. Chris and I ordered Benjamin Button style and started out with a delicious slice of Oreo cheesecake. Even an hour later I still couldn’t believe that Chris flew to Washington to see me.
After lunch Chris and I went ice-skating in Bellevue (for the record I never fell) and we later had some yummy hot chocolate to medicate our frozen hands. After warming up we went bowling at my childhood bowling alley. Chris was awesome. His high score was 167 and got five strikes in a row. I on the other hand got a high score of 80…out of four games. Even though I lack skills in the bowling department, it was still a blast. When we got back home Chris and I walked in to my family playing games and my sister on the floor laughing like an insane woman. I thought for sure Chris was going to leave in the middle of the night to escape my psychotic family. But to my surprise, I found him watching the golden sunrise the next morning. Chris and I woke my family up to the smell of chocolate pancakes and eggs. I loved watching him interact with my family, especially with my little nephew. Later I drove Chris around showing him some of the pretty sites of Sequim. We went to the Dungeness Spit, Bell Hill, Happy Valley, and walked around the John Wayne Marina. Back home we played with Ethan who wore us out by making Chris run down the “tunnel” and having me chase after them. It was a workout. In the afternoon we played football with the family, which was loads of fun. My team didn’t do so hot, but Chris was a superstar and led his team to victory. He got his jeans all dirty and had to borrow my brother’s pants, which was hilarious because my brother is extraordinarily tall and super skinny. For New Years the two of us drove over to the eastside to watch fireworks off the Space Needle. After a quick stop at my best friend’s house and a pro parallel parking job, we made it to the Seattle Center where we walked around and took in Seattle’s magical scene.
 I still couldn’t get over the fact that Chris came to see me. It was then I knew I loved him. No one has ever made me feel like I was truly worth something.
 Eventually the countdown to midnight came. We stood right by the International Fountain surrounded by lighted trees with a perfect view of the Space Needle.

10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…Happy New Year!!! 

Fireworks illuminated the sky in celebration of 2012. It was nothing short of enchanting. Being wrapped up in the arms of the man I adore made it absolutely perfect. As the fireworks faded into the night, Chris turned to me and told me he loved me. I was so overwhelmed with happiness in the moment that it took me a second to tell him that I loved him too. The fireworks in the sky weren’t the only fireworks going off that night. I was still wrapped tight in his arms when he looked down into my eyes and asked,
 “Rachel…(kiss)…Elizabeth…(kiss)…Chumley…(kiss)…will you marry me?”
HAPPINESS. Elation, euphoria, joy, delight, excitement, bliss, rapture, jubilation…these words don’t even begin to describe the feelings that overwhelmed me when I replied with a
“Yes…yes! YES! YES! YES!!!”
 It was like the whole world stood still. Everything disappeared. The crowds, the noise, the cold. All I could see was the most incredible man in the world. No words can describe the happiness we both felt and are still feeling. It was the best night of my life. Nothing has ever felt more real, more right, or more perfect.

New years day was spent announcing to our families of our engagement. The proposal came as a surprise to everyone, including me. My brother was probably the most surprised. It took him a minute to process it and then he exclaimed, 
“Wait a second, Chris proposed to Rachel in my pants?!” 
Too funny.

Later I drove Chris to Port Williams to walk along the beach and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. We talked about our future and how happy we are together. I feel like I’m at home when I’m with him. Everything is just right.

The next morning came with a goodbye I didn’t want to say. Our locations for the next four months were over 2000 miles apart. I was going to Idaho for school and he was heading back home until he left for Hawaii. After I got to Idaho I immediately knew I wasn’t supposed to be there. It didn’t feel right and nothing was working out. After a lot of prayer and pondering I realized I needed to go back to school in Hawaii. Not only to continue my education, but to also be closer to the man I love. Miracle after miracle occurred and it turned out my request for discontinuance for BYU-Hawaii never processed, my flight back to Hawaii was never cancelled, and I got the last housing available. I hopped on a flight to Hawaii Sunday night. After the plane broke into the white clouds and I saw my last glimpse of Washington, I felt a huge confirmation that this was the right path. 
I’m finally building my wings. 

This is all meant to be. My life has so much more purpose now. 
Chris makes me want to be better, to aim higher, and live my life to the fullest. 
He is wonderful and exceedingly handsome. He captivates me just like a firework show.
I love him. I love him so much and I can’t wait to start my life with him.
 I’m the happiest, most blessed girl in the world. 


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory Rachel! Congratulations! We are all so happy for you and proud of the wonderful woman you have become! Chris sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Do you know HOW LONG I've been waiting for this post!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! P.S. Shoot any reception ideas or places you are registering my way!! I adore helping wedding plan!! Oh, and this site is DIVINE when it comes to this ----> 100layercake.com/blog!!
    ♥t.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I was not on the floor when you two walked in. That was later....... ;p lol
    Love your love story! It's nothing short of a fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you Rachel!! Congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have read this at least 10 times! I have never seen you so happy and I love it. If anyone else would have come to me and asked as he did, "What can I do to earn the right to marry your daughter," I don't know how I would have reacted. I liked Chris the first time I met him. He is honest, kind hearted and has integrity. I think I asked him if he loved you and if you loved him. He said yes and I said I would love for him to be a part of our family. He fits in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful declaration. You deserve this wonderful guy, and he deserves wonderful you. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete