Friday, November 25, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness


Anyone that knows me well is fully aware that I'm a true Washingtonian. I have an unconditional love for rain and apples, both of which are plentiful in my wonderful home state. 
Back home I used to eat at least one apple a day (to keep the doctor away!). However, apples in Hawaii are ridiculously overpriced, so I only treat myself to them occasionally. 
The other day I went to the campus snack bar to buy myself a delicious Fugi apple. As I waited in line, a nice older man in front of me said he'd pay for my apple and told me to enjoy my day. First off, I hate it when people buy me things, but I was pretty dang stoked. Secondly, that small act of kindness turned my whole day around. My spirits were lifted and I devoured a fantastically scrumptious apple. 
See what one little random act of kindness can do? 
What if we all made a goal of doing one kind act to someone we don't know every day?
It is so simple, yet can leave a huge impact.

I have a second story with a similar theme. 
A few weeks ago I was feeling pretty lonely and was having a rough day. When I got back to my dorm someone had left me an anonymous note on my door. This is what it said:



Honestly, I broke into tears. I had no idea who the note was from, but I'm sure it had a larger impact on me than the anonymous sender expected. Just knowing there was someone out there caring enough to write me a note made me feel so good inside, especially on a lonely day. I felt so loved and my heart was filled with gratitude toward this secret person. Just a few kind words was enough to turn my day around and put a smile on my low-spirited face. The feelings were so wonderful that I wanted others to feel them too. So I made a goal that each week I will give someone, anyone, a kind note to hopefully make their day a bit brighter. I have been successful thus far and love deciding who my next target will be. I hope these secret notes are having the same impact that my note had on me.
It is so easy to share a little love, you just got to get out there and do it. 


 A few words on a notecard or even spare change spent on another can be so powerful.  
So next time you're lonely, write someone else a note.
Next time you're at the store, buy me an apple! Just kidding. 
Next time you're at the store, do a random act of kindness for someone you don't know. 
As you do, I can guarantee that it will not only make their day, but it will make your day too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment