Monday, November 21, 2011

Building My Wings



This saying became my inspiration for creating a blog. The past couple months have been filled with ups and downs, and I have come to the realization that all too often I am afraid of being myself. Lately I have been writing in my journal about things I want to improve on in my life, or important lessons I have learned. Every time I write I discover a new piece to the convoluted puzzle of who I am. I thought I would share my puzzle pieces in hopes that through my trials and triumphs I could help someone with theirs.

She took the leap and built her wings on the way down...

Many times I have wanted to spread my wings and fly away, but I've realized I don't have my wings yet. Sometimes you have to take the leap and trust that everything will be okay. You build your wings as you embrace each experience that comes your way. 
I am someone that has always had a plan. I was going to go to BYU-Hawaii, graduate with my bachelors degree in hospitality and tourism management, and work my way into the cruise line industry. I was going to follow the same typical road that everyone else in the world seems to take: Go to college, graduate, start your career. But what about the road less traveled? I think part of the reason why I can be afraid of being myself is because I feel like I have to live up to everyone's expectations of me. That I will become a failure if I don't do everything according to plan. But which is the bigger failure? Failing to become what people think you should be, or failing to become what you want to be? As my freshman year of college is winding down, I have decided that this plan I had in my head isn't what I want. What do I want? Well, I don't really know. That is why I'm going to take the leap into the unknown. To build my own wings instead of flying with the wings of the world. 
I want to fly, but I only want to fly with the wings I built myself. 

1 comment: